The most northern part of Shar Mountain is Ljuboten peak (2499m asl). Seen from Skopje, it gives an impression as the highest peak in the mountain range that has lured peoples since ancient times. Given this, as you stop in the middle of The Stone Bridge – a historical mark of city of Skopje – and look towards Mount Shara – Ljuboten peak represents a Hollywood-esque background in that scenery. Simply put this is an amazing peak no matter if you wonder at it from beyond or even better if you actually climb it.
We suggest this easy hike of 6,3km one way (12,6km return hike) and 793m D+ by the most popular route from village Staro Selo to mountain hut Ljuboten
– located half-way from the route to the summit. The mountain hut dates from 1931 and it’s the oldest active hut in North Macedonia. It is located immediately above the tree-line at an altitude of 1630 m. and it offers amazing views of Polog valley and towards south-west of parts of Shara Mountain main ridgeline.
At the beginning of your hike, after the village church there is a tapped spring where you can get your water. As soon as you leave the village at 900m asl a chestnut forest – a rare sight in Shara mountain – begins. Following the main jeep road – here and there – the markings will lead you to several single-track shortcuts – you will be accompanied by a chorus of bird singing. Occasionally, the cold breeze from Ljuboten peak will remind you of the glimpses of this summit through the beech-wood crowns all the way to the mountain hut.
Reaching the mountain hut will take you about 2 – 2,5 hours and there you will be greeted by the host Mr. Mitko (in the mountain hut) or by the host Vase (in the villa). They both serve traditional dishes from Polog valley, like fresh vegetable salads with local sheep cheese (the sheepfold is located at 300 meters from the hut), traditional cheese pie called “komad”, typical Macedonian beans, and various mixed meat dishes. Enjoy your stay at the hut or in the villa and the wonderful nature that the concluding part of Shara mountain is offering.
|EASY / MODERATE
|up to 18km / 11mi/ 3-6 hours
|Terrain may be rugged, with some hills, but not too strenuous.
|Suitable for fit and active people, with some hiking experience
When To Go
|15 May – 31 May and 01 October to 15 November
|01 June – 30 September
|16 November – 14 May
Available on request
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Mobile app with maps and route descriptions
- Detailed hiking route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand-by support
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Travel
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Private arrival / departure transfers available on request
- Extra night before or after the tour
- In mountain hut “Ljuboten” : from 15 €/ dorm accommodation
- In villa “Ljuboten” (shared facilities): from 15 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €.
- Hotel 3* in Tetovo: from 25 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €.
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
Arrival & DepartureBy bus & van from Skopje:
Buses start from Skopje Central Bus Station
to the van stop
in Tetovo. From here there is regular van service to village Staro Selo. Price: 10 € Taxi / private transfer from Skopje:
Available on requestPlease contact the agency for current bus / train schedules
Why Travel With Us?
ADVENTURES FOR EVERYONE
You only pay for what you want. We offer different levels of accomodation and comfort for every budget and travel style. Please read carefully the includes and excludes items and create the trip that is most convenient for you.
Since 2004 we create authentic, high quality tours in the Balkans. North Macedonia is our homeland, we have walked and biked every corner and we make sure that the balance between the activities, the "must see" attractions and the "off-the-beaten-track" experiences gives you the true Balkan - intense, hearth warming and often life changing experience.
- strict company risk management on each tour that we operate
- available 24/7 for anything from enquiries to emergencies
- smartphone navigation app in addition to the printed detailed route information and maps
- we give you a wireless modem on the trip so you can be easily located at any time in case of emergency