- Hotel to hotel
- 3 Nights
- Max 60 km per day
- Choice of moderate to challenging routes
- 4 days cycling
- May to October
A weekend for some of the best cultural and historical sites in North Macedonia. Start from Bitola, the city with more than 1600 years of urban tradition; cycle through the bird habitat by Lake Prespa and in national park Galicica; swim in the oldest and deepest lake in Europe; walk in the old town of Ohrid – a true time travel through the many layers of history of this UNESCO World Heritage city. End this long weekend in a laid-back village style: get to know the locals of Vevcani, taste their excellent home-made food and take a walk in the nature around Vevchani springs
Day 1: Bitola – Oteshevo (Prespa Lake)
Day 2: Oteshevo, Galichica, Lagadin
Day 3: Lagadin – Ohrid
Day 4: Lagadin – Vevchani
- Bitola is the former city of consulates and embassies, today one of the most beautiful cities in Macedonia which managed to maintain its 18th and 19th century neoclassical architecture and monuments. While in Bitola, don’t miss:
- Shirok Sokak
- The Old Bazaar
- Heraclea Lyncestis
- Museum of Bitola
- The Ethno museum in village Podmochani, with impressive collection of over 2000 exhibits.
- Birdwatching in Prespa Lake
- Galicica national park: with 130 different types of trees and shrubs, many of which are relict.
- Ohrid Lake. The deepest and oldest lake in Europe, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- The Bay of Bones. An authentic reconstruction of a part of the pile- dwelling settlement dating back to 1200 BC.
- Ohrid. The pearl of the Balkans, also known as the Jerusalem of the Balkans, for its amazing historical, religious and cultural heritage. The major attractions of Ohrid are located within a walkable area, among and above the narrow cobblestoned streets of the old town, lined with restaurants, cafés and souvenir shops. Some must-see sites in Ohrid:
- St Sofia church. The treasure of medieval architecture and painting with frescoes which are best preserved examples of Byzantine monumental activities from the period between 10th and 13th century.
- Ancient theatre. Renewed piece of history in the heart of Ohrid. It was first dedicated to Dionysus and the muses of poetry and theater games, and later it served as gladiatorial arena for battles. Today, it is a host to world artists such as Jose Carreras, Tina Gorina, or the conductor David Himenez.
- Tsar Samuil Fortress. The shield of Ohrid that protected the city from the tribes’ invasion since 5th century.
- The handmade papermaker. If you like history of books and writings, this workshop is a must to visit, with one of the two remaining (and operating!) Gutenberg press machines in the World.
- Struga. The city of poetry, where River Drim flows out of Ohrid Lake. The beach with many restaurants and cafes is on your left. On your right you can enter the old town and the busy open market.
- Kalishta monastery. The Nativity of Holy Mother of God, is the oldest part of the monastery: it was built in the 14th century and is completely preserved with no restoration works. You will also find three monk cells carved in these rocks.
- Vevchani village. Vevchani people have always been known as skillful builders – this can be seen in the typical village architecture. It is also the place visited by many tourists, including Macedonians, for their good, traditional homemade food.
- Vevchani springs. Declared a Monument of Nature. The biggest spring comes out of a cave above the village, and converges together with 10 minor springs bellow.
|up to 75km / 46mi
|hilly terrain with moderate uphills
|Regular cyclists, who are used to longer rides and are happy to take an uphill, or two along the way
|NOTE: One long uphill on day 2. Transfer can be arranged to the mountain pass. Please contact the agency for more details.
As you leave urban Bitola, you enter the old local road that used to connect Bitola with Prespa Lake in the times of Yugoslavia. Today it is rarely used, as it hasn’t been maintained since the opening of the new motorway from Bitola to Prespa, and it is still covered with cobblestone in parts. One part of this road is on the ancient route of the Roman road Via Egnatia, built over old Candavian Road some 2.200 years ago.
You will know that you are close to Lake Prespa when you notice the apple orchards around you. It is the region that supplies all of the Balkans with apples.
A beautiful and challenging cycling route over Mount Galicica, with wonderfull views over the two biggest lakes in North Macedonia. Once you leave Prespa Lake behind, you will enter Galicica national park. Here you start a 14km long uphill (860m to 1590m) on a curvy narrow road leading to Mount Galicica pass. (if you think that this is too challenging for you, please ask our agents to arrange a transfer up to the mountain pass, so you can enjoy riding only the downhill to the lake, and by the lake coast).
Don’t rush to your destination, take some time to stop and visit Trpejca fishing village, with a lovely beach hidden between the rocks by Ohrid Lake. There are also couple of fish restaurants on the shore where you can enjoy fresh trout for lunch. Also, we recommend to make one more stop on your way to visit the archaeological site on water – the Bay of Bones.
Your destination is family guesthouse in a small settlement by the lake, some 9 km from Ohrid. Located between the lake and the mountain, it is a perfect place to go swimming, or, to relax in a hammock in their gardens.
Cycling: 4h (45 km, ascent 980 m, descent 1.159 m)
Optional: transfer to Galicica pass where you can continue riding down to Ohrid Lake.
It takes some 10km (30-40min easy ride) to get from Lagadin to Ohrid. You will be cycling on a local road along the lake coast, passing hotel resorts, villas and nice cafés on the beach. As you enter Ohrid, continue cycling by the lake to the main square, where the old town begins. You will probably decide to spend the day here, exploring the many layers of Ohrid history, as well as the restaurants and cafés along the cobblestoned alleys of the old town, or by the beach. If you would rather spend the day kayaking or sailing, paragliding or flying with a hot-air balloon above the lake please let us know, we will be happy to arrange it for you.
Cycling: 1h round trip (20 km, ascent 243 m, descent 243 m)
You will be riding on the scenic local road along the lake coast all the way from Ohrid to the villages before the border with Albania. A nice stop on the route is the colorful Struga open market, with great choice of fresh fruit and veggies, along with all housewares and souvenirs. Your last stop before the border is Kalishta monastery with the icon of the Holly Mother painted black. Next to the church, you will find the entrance that leads you up the stairs to an old cave church and to few monk cells dug into the rocks centuries ago. Here would be also the place for your last swim in Ohrid Lake before you head to Jablanica Mountain, and to Vevchani village at its foothills, which is your destination. Treat yourself with tasty homemade dinner in one of the guesthouses in Vevchani.
Cycling: 5h (52 km, ascent 614 m, descent 440 m)
When To Go
|01 May – 31 May and 15 October to 01 November
|01 June– 14 October
|All other dates
354€ / per person
Price is valid for min 2 participants
INCLUDED IN PRICE
- Accommodation based on 2 participants sharing double room
- Luggage transfers
- Detailed cycling route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand-by support (cell phone and contact person)
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Travel
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Supplement for single room accommodation: 42€
- Supplement for half board instead of standard bed & breakfast accommodation (3 dinners):
- 43€ / per person. Vegetarian and vegan meals available on request
- Private arrival / departure transfers available upon request
- Extra night in Skopje
3* hotel: from 26 € / per person sharing double room; Single supplement from 15 €
4* hotel: from 40 € / per person sharing double room; Single supplement from 20 €
- Extra night in Ohrid
- Guesthouse (private room): from 25 € /per person sharing double room; Single supplement 20 €- 4* hotel: from 35 € / per person / sharing double room; Single supplement: 25 €
- Extra night in Bitola
- Family traditional hotel: from 25 € /per person sharing double room; Single supplement: 15 €
- 4* hotel: from 35 € / pp / sharing double room; Single supplement: 20 €• Rent of bike: from 21 € /per day
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
- Optional transfer for the longer uphill on Galicica mountain (Day 4): 40€ / per car
Small, family run hotel in Prespa, and guesthouse with en-suite facilities in Lagadin.
* Upgrade is available on all our tours, please contact our agents.
Arrival & Departure
The original tour starts in Bitola, and ends in Vevchani. If you are not located in Bitola, please contact our agents to arrange your transfer to Bitiola, and / or from Ohrid.
If you are in Skopje, to get to Bitola it will cost you ca 9 € by bus, or by train, and app. 120 € if you prefer car transport.
To get to Skopje from Vevchani, options are: by bus (9€) or by car (150€).
Please contact our agents for further information regarding transport and transfers.
Available on request
Why Travel With Us?
ADVENTURES FOR EVERYONE
You only pay for what you want. We offer different levels of accomodation and comfort for every budget and travel style. Please read carefully the includes and excludes items and create the trip that is most convenient for you.
Since 2004 we create authentic, high quality tours in the Balkans. North Macedonia is our homeland, we have walked and biked every corner and we make sure that the balance between the activities, the "must see" attractions and the "off-the-beaten-track" experiences gives you the true Balkan - intense, hearth warming and often life changing experience.
- strict company risk management on each tour that we operate
- available 24/7 for anything from enquiries to emergencies
- smartphone navigation app in addition to the printed detailed route information and maps
- we give you a wireless modem on the trip so you can be easily located at any time in case of emergency