Since 1931 the recently renovated Ljuboten hut – the oldest in North Macedonia – had successfully stood up the elements in the form of severe winds and huge precipitations. Ljuboten peak (2499 m asl) looms above the hut - is the northern most part of Shar mountain range and in a sense, represents the starting point of exploring Shara’s amazing ridgeline southward. The following moderate to difficult hike will provide you with such an opportunity, starting from the hut to Livadica peak (2497 m asl) and then down to village Belovishte (730 m). It is 15 km long with 945 meters elevation gain and it usually takes about 6 - 7 hours to complete including brakes.
The route does not climb Ljuboten peak but traverses its eastern side passing by Kozja Stena (goat’s rock)
– a notable rocky landmark amidst the steep slope seen even from Skopje. A very rocky path among many small and large boulders has been established in this cirque. Minding your step is crucial here even though your sight is always being “stolen” by Ljuboten peak above you, Shara ridgeline to your left and Polog valley below you. After passing the Shija saddle and getting on the ridgeline – Livadicko Lake
- just 200 vertical meters below – will begin reflecting the sunshine into your eyes. One of the most beautiful and deepest glacial lakes in Shara Mountain range, situated in a rocky cirque at 2137 meters, its waves have carved an overhanging rock over its western shore - a rare phenomenon in the mountain.
Continuing to Livadica peak 2497m
asl is the mid-point between Ljuboten and Piribeg peak (seen up north with a ski gondola finishing at it top). The name comes from the relatively green pastures with colorful flowers that make up the peak (livada means meadow) in contrast to Ljuboten’s rocky face. Stopping for a break here on a good day is a must as an amazing view of the dominant Ljuboten is just waiting to be “framed”. Heading down and westwards directly to the beech-wood and chestnuts mixed forest (a rarity in Shara) the roaring sound of several creeks and rivers becomes louder and louder.
Finally, the village of Belovishte
is the finishing point of this wonderful hike. At the local restaurant you can award yourself with a trout for lunch and well-deserved swim at the swimming pool in the shadows of chestnut trees.
Available on request
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Mobile app with maps and route descriptions
- Detailed hiking route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand by support
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Trave
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Private arrival / departure transfers available upon request
- Extra night before or after the tour
-In mountain hut “Ljuboten” : from 15 €/ dorm accommodation
-In villa “Ljuboten” (shared facilities): from 15 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €.
-In a guesthouse 3km from Belovishte village (shared facilities): from 20 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 7 €
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
By bus & van from Skopje:
Buses start from Skopje Central Bus Station
to the van stop
in Tetovo. From here there is regular van service to village Staro Selo. Price: 10 €
If you prefer to skip the hike from village Staro Selo to Ljuboten hut we can arrange a jeep transfer to the hut. Taxi / private transfer from Skopje:
Available on request
By bus & van from village Belovishte to Skopje:
Local vans operate from village Belovishte to Tetovo Bus Station
Buses to Skopje start from Tetovo Bus Station
to Skopje Central Bus Station
. Taxi / private transfer from Skopje:
Available on requestPlease contact the agency for current bus / train schedules