Explore the most protected zone of Pelister National Park from Golemo Ezero glacial lake (2.218m) to Brajcino village by Prespa Lake (1.000m). Brajcino is the Macedonian synonym of – alternative country-side tourism where the local population have come together to offer the best of Macedonian traditional hospitality, cuisine thus creating unique Balkan experience.
This moderate hike of 17km and 1200mD- explores the most protected zone of Pelister National Park
. It begins at Golemo Ezero glacial lake
and the mountain hut (called “Dimitar Ilievski – Murato” bearing the name of first Macedonian who climbed Everest in 1989) (2218m asl) and it will take you around 5 hours to reach village of Brajcino
. This area is full with wildlife and the first half-or-so of the route is through shrubs and open-spaces allowing you to enjoy the awesome views at the other prominent peaks and ridges of Mount Baba and beyond.
The route follows WWI military roads and passes by locales such as “Orlovi bari”
, several stone rivers – moraines, and few abandoned sheepfolds. Also, all the way down there are scattered ruins of military posts and objects – silent reminders of the horrors that were in this part of the frontline. Give a minute of silence out of respect for the fallen heroes a century ago.
Gradually, the path follows Brajcinska creek
serpentines into forested area of beech-wood and oak trees. It passes by an old sawmill and a small church St.Nikola. The village of Brajcino (1000m asl) is situated in the National park “Pelister” and it is located on 15 min drive from Prespa Lake
. It is abundant with spring water and lush deciduous forests. Welcome to the Macedonian symbol of alternative countryside tourism.
|EASY / MODERATE
|up to 18km / 11mi/ 3-6 hours
|Terrain may be rugged, with some hills, but not too strenuous.
|Suitable for fit and active people, with some hiking experience
When To Go
|15 May – 31 May and 01 October to 15 November
|01 June – 30 September
|16 November – 14 May
Available on request
INCLUDED IN PRICE:
- Mobile app with maps and route descriptions
- Detailed hiking route descriptions and maps
- Local safety information and contacts
- Stand-by support
- Organization and logistic by Macedonia Travel
NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE:
OPTIONS & SUPPLEMENTS:
- Private arrival / departure transfers available on request
- Extra night before or after the tour
- In mountain hut “Golemo Ezero” by the lake: from 20 €/ dorm accommodation
- In village Brajchino in guesthouse: from 18 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €
- In village Ljubojno in a guesthouse (private rooms): from 18 €/ per person sharing double room. Single supplement: 10 €.
- Rent of Global Positioning System (GPS) console: 45 €
Arrival & DepartureARRIVAL TO BIG LAKE:
By 4x4 to the Big Lake
Available on requestOn foot
This route can be extension of the following routes:
- Hike to Peak Pelister
and Peak Pelister to the Big Lake
- Hike to the Big Lake
from Nizepole village (easy / moderate) DEPARTURE FROM BRAJCHINO VILLAGE TO SKOPJE:
By bus and car transfer
As there is no regular bus service to the villages on this side of Baba Mountain, we can arrange transfer by car from Brajchino to Resen Bus Station (15 €) where you can take intercity bus from Resen to Skopje Bus Station.
Why Travel With Us?
ADVENTURES FOR EVERYONE
You only pay for what you want. We offer different levels of accomodation and comfort for every budget and travel style. Please read carefully the includes and excludes items and create the trip that is most convenient for you.
Since 2004 we create authentic, high quality tours in the Balkans. North Macedonia is our homeland, we have walked and biked every corner and we make sure that the balance between the activities, the "must see" attractions and the "off-the-beaten-track" experiences gives you the true Balkan - intense, hearth warming and often life changing experience.
- strict company risk management on each tour that we operate
- available 24/7 for anything from enquiries to emergencies
- smartphone navigation app in addition to the printed detailed route information and maps
- we give you a wireless modem on the trip so you can be easily located at any time in case of emergency